Thursday, November 3, 2011

COLOMBIA, South America: Quibdo, Choco Day 4

We wake up and head straight to the airport to fly to the infamous 'Choco.' That's where the slaves ran away to. It's also where my fave group comes from. In fact the group's name is from the state (Choco) and town (Quibdo) = ChocQuib Town. Nice! 

Wait a minute! Are those propellers on that plane? Hmm, I'm not feeling this. AND the the plane is 'Aires?!' No offense to my Aires buddies out there, but you know how erratic you can be. Do I really want to put my life in an Aires propellor plane? 

WTH, lets do this! I remember at least one good prayer..."Oh St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong before the throne of God...."

                                                                                                                                                                       What? We're here, we landed? Piece of cake. 

Safely on the ground in Choco!
3 Generations of Black feminists
                                                                               Let's go.
We go to our hotel, where Jenny surprises her mother.  Three generations of Black female activist, all brilliant and beautiful!


                                                                  



           Now we eat. Yum, amazing food. Did I mention coconut rice? I should have, cause it's plentiful and DELICIOUS.  Then there is the refreshing coconut water with small bits of coconut. I love coconut--when I was pregnant I always craved coconut, mango, lobster and champagne. Hmm, I still crave coconut, mango, lobster and champagne...



Next, we are off to do a tv interview at a school and talk with some media students. I show them both films, Morning Due and Eric's Haircut. 
These students are very savvy. They find meaning and significance that was missed by others (including me ;-0)


Media Students
They talk about hair and cultural identity.  Personal identity versus public perception.  Emotional vs physical trauma.  Music as character.


Muntu Bantu
Black Cultural Center in Choco
Have I mentioned that Choco is an all Black state. I kept thinking I was back in Africa. Now I understand why Susy felt so at home in Ouagadougo, Burkina Faso in West Africa--it looks and feels a lot alike. It's hot because we are, after all, in a jungle.

A different meaning of 'hand to mouth'
                                                          



               The Muntu Bantu Black Cultural Center is down the street and we walk down there for another screening and discussion. The center is full of pictures and paintings of Black historical icons and events. Black heroes of North and South American freedom struggles. The middle passage and Malcolm X, lots of Malcolm X.
Malcolm under the door of no return, looking at the pyramids.

Afterwards we go to a restaurant on the river and have a wonderful meal that includes champagne.


Boats on the River


Susy, Our Hostess, BA & Jenny

 
We all retire happy and full to get ready for a second day in Choco!

No comments:

Post a Comment